Recently I got asked if it was possible to rename the “Name” column within a SharePoint Document Library. Simplest answer is yes but it isn’t as straight forward as most people think unless you know how to do it. (This applies to SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013)
So to change the Name of the Column “Name” you need to use SharePoint Designer.
- The first step is to navigate to the SharePoint Library within SharePoint Designer
- Within the Library summary page click on Edit List Columns within the Customization Artefact.
- Then there is 3 options to renaming the “Name” column
- Right click column then select rename
- Select the Column then use the top ribbon to rename the column
- Press F5 once you have selected the column
It is really that simply to change the column however not unless you know how.